How to Apply
Things to know before you apply
Hospice of Michigan is delighted that you are considering becoming a hospice volunteer. The requirements are as follows:
- Required Trainings: A twelve-hour volunteer training for all volunteers working with patients and subsequent trainings depending on the type of volunteer you are applying for. Types of Volunteers (link)
- Criminal Background Checks: The State of Michigan Department of Community Health requires a the criminal background check for health care agencies such as nursing homes, hospices, homes for the aged, hospitals etc. The following checks are now required to work or volunteer in the preceding list of health care agencies:
- U.S. HHS Medicare/Medicaid Exclusion List
- Clinical Licensure Check
- Michigan Public Sex Offender Registry
- Michigan Offender Tracking Information Systems
- Michigan Internet Criminal History Access Tool
- TB Testing: Also Patient Care Volunteers must have a current TB test or chest x-ray results on record before they can begin providing patient care. If you do not have a current TB test (within the last year), you will be provided with information on how to obtain the TB testing at a location near you. The Manager of Volunteer Services, providing your training, will discuss the schedule for this process with you at the first class.
If you would like to volunteer for Hospice of Michigan (HOM), please complete the following:
- Fill out the Volunteer Online application form
- or follow the steps below to mail your application.
- Download Volunteer Application/Background Check Form
Print and Mail Back to Prospective Hospice of Michigan site.
- Must be fingerprinted. (information and forms to be given at training)
- Must complete a TB test. (information and forms to be given at training)
- Once application is received, the site manager will contact you to schedule an interview.
- Attend and complete training for type of volunteer you are applying to become.
The Volunteer Application can be opened by Adobe Acrobat Reader. To download this free program click here.