What do volunteers do?
At Hospice of Michigan, we utilize volunteers in all areas of the organization. Based on your background, talent and areas of interest, we will provide you with the necessary training and work closely with you to identify a rich and rewarding volunteer experience.
Examples of how our volunteers serve
Hospice of Michigan volunteers give their time in order to provide quality of life support for our patients, caregivers and staff. Frequency and duration of assignments is based on volunteer availability. Examples of volunteer assignments include:
- Companionship support for patients living at home or in a facility setting
- Caregiver relief support to allow a caregiver to get away from the home for a few hours and recharge
- Bedside vigil volunteers provide presence for patients in their final days or hours
- My Stories Program volunteers to assist patients in recording memories or lessons learned so that loved ones can listen to the recording for years to come
- Photographers and portrait artists for pediatric and adult patients
- Persons with musical and/or artistic abilities to provide these healing modalities for patients in a facility or home setting
- Veterans to reach out to Veteran patients through the We Honor Veterans Program
- Licensed massage therapists to provide their services for patients to improve comfort and quality of life
- Licensed cosmetologists/barbers to provide haircuts for patients at their residence, whether at home or in a facility
- Pet owners to bring their pets to patient’s home or facilities to brighten the day of a fellow pet lover
- Persons to provide grief support for family and community members that have experienced the loss of a loved one
- Seamstresses to sew “memory bears” from clothing of patients that have passed away and are used to provide comfort for grieving family members
- Assistance with setting up special events and community outreach
- Crafters who can create birthday or other special occasion cards
- Office support assistance with all levels of experience e.g. proficiency with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc., filing, tracking, data base entry, assisting with various office projects; making phone calls, etc.
Volunteer at a location near you
We utilize volunteer support at all of our office locations and in the communities we serve our patients throughout the lower peninsula. Please click on this link for a listing of our locations.